Sunday, September 23, 2012

Salon: The Visit

Greetings Fans,

This is the second installment of my experience in the Milwaukee Artist Resource Network Salon II: "Free Money." You can read the details in the post Salon: The Beginning

Yesterday morning, I had my curatorial visit with MARN curator protege Ana Hansa-Ogren. During the visit I shared past and current projects. In addition, we also discussed the current state of my work, and how specific pieces would connect to the topic (Free Money) that will be facilitated by guest curator Michelle Grabner.

I found the experience very interesting. This is only my second studio visit and both times the curator has selected work that I did not think of as my favorite and the last time the curator selected a work in process (YIKES!).

Ana and I discussed a number of items in her selections, because it was important the pieces correlate with the other three artists in the exhibition.One series she elected are my photographic transfers on plexiglass. I had these pieces in local shows, as well as a show in Nashville. For the larger pieces, this will be the first showing in Milwaukee. So that's exciting...

The second series is a little more complicated. Over the years, I have been capturing what I like to call "Moments in Between." These are the small moments, the breaths between one instance to the next.The randomness of my interests and things that catch my eye. My pure selfish indulgences. I had several posted up in my space as source material and have shown three of these formally. These also caught Ana's eye! I never would of imagined sharing the bulk of them publicly. According to Ana they show, the "Intelligence of the snapshot. A distilled personal moment." Wow, that sounds beautiful... I love how she has described my act of looking.

Opening October 5th, about 50 of these images, along with the transfers, will be on view. I am slated to drop the work off next week and installation will begin shortly there after. Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment