Friday, December 10, 2010

All About the Process...

Greetings Foto Fans!

When I was living in Italy I had a mentor who would often remind me, "It's all about the process, not just the product." It took a little bit for it to sink in, which may explain why he felt the need to remind me multiple times (chuckle), but I continue to apply this lesson back on American soil.

This summer I had a "Happyy Accident," as one of my current mentors calls it, with a can of spray paint, and came across a new idea for a self-portrait. Well, I often make smaller "samples" or "proofs" of my work so I can play with textures, put pieces together, help me simply better understand if I "like" how each image complements one another or is it strong enough to stand alone. Within this process, I am also adding text by my own hand.

Well it was suggested I try screen printing the text, sure I thought... but did I mention I am not, repeat NOT a print maker! lol But after I was dusted with a little Warhol dust by the Print Maker Fairy, I attempted the process. Coat the screen... wait, Burn the screen... wait, Rinse the screen... wait,  Coat the screen... wait, and here folks think it takes a long time to print a picture in the dark room. PLEASE, give me my chemistry set and red light any day! But funny, once I put my sample piece together, guess what... I did NOT like it!

It was something about the printed text, not being in my specific hand, but recreated, that disappointed me.  But I thought wait, post it in my studio, give it a moment, it may grow on you, but alas, nope! And so now Fans, I begin this graffiti style, self-portrait again, because, in the end... It's about the process! And once the process is correct, the product will be phenomenal (if I say so myself). I haven't totally given up on screenprinting and continue to spend time in the printmaking studio, but just not for this project. I know you are wondering about a few pictures, well, you'll have to come to the exhibition, "Pulp Possibilities" at REDLine Milwaukee in March. Hopefully this piece will make the cut and give you a chance to see what this process is really all about. Until then, you can always follow me on Twitter@FotoFans

No comments:

Post a Comment